Friday, December 18, 2009

The era of Unibody

I don't know whether last blog entry ended dramatically enough.
There are no words to describe how my thrill turned to disappointment.

I did not like the Glossy screen. I definitely did not like the loose hinges, but most of all...
I did not like my new MacBook Pro's CPU overheating to 110°C and therefore CPU dropping to 1,6GHz

15 minutes after hearing the "wall-e chime" i typed "yes > /dev/null" in two separate terminal windows just to check how quiet this new Unibody computer was. Indeed it was quiet... it was really quiet... a bit too quiet?

Soon after installing temperature and fan speed monitor software if found out why this Unibody seemed so quiet compared to my 1st MacBook Pro which fans were at 4500 - 5000rpm and cpu temperature was at 85°C at full load. This Unibody MacBook Pro's fans never speed up above 2000rpm. When I had enough courage I launched again two yes -processes and this time I did not quit them... I watched CPU squirming at 110°C for ~5 minutes and eventually fans started slowly speeding up untill CPU temperature was dropped to 95°C.

I even installed the supplied OS X Leopard twice to make sure that it is not software related problem. I also installed Windows XP to check and yes. Same overheating problem (actually I should call this lazy fan problem) occurred there too. I tried gaming but first 15 minutes was like a watching dia presentation as the CPU was constantly switching between 2800MHz and 1600MHz.

I was angry, not again a faulty computer. Well this time the flaw is so obvious so I have nothing to worry about. Maybe one week without computer and then I could finally have a computer whereto I can trust in every situation.

Did I mention before "boy how wrong I was" ?
I made one big mistake. I Google'd "Unibody overheat" and found several other Unibody owners struggling with this fan issue.
I made my assumptions that this is a flaw that concerns all Unibody laptops. Therefore i thought that Apple would make a Firmware update to make fans wake up earlier. And because an fix is already on its way it is pointless to take my new machine to a repair.

I prolonged the inevitable too long. Finally I had to visit the same service point and I asked whether they know what to do with this type overheating. And sure they did have an solution...

No comments:

Post a Comment