Friday, December 18, 2009

Situation after the first service

When I got my laptop back they said me that the motherboard (or Logic Board in Apple language) have been replaced. I was happy to hear that as I knew all the essential parts was located in motherboard and I thought that by replacing that to a new one all the defects must have been vanished.

Boy how wrong I was.

Internal sound card made still that awful high noise. I then thought that I could probably live with that.
It was the next day after the service visit when keyboard and mouse stopped working again.


I had to take the computer to a service again. This time it took almost 2 weeks to finally get the MBP back.
This time the guy at the service desk was self confident. "now we've replaced the whole top cover including the keyboard mouse and IO board". I had no idea what the IO-board meant but my spirit grew when the last possible reason for faulty keyboard and touchpad seem to been fixed.

This time it was the same day when keyboard and mouse fault occurred again. I was a bit frustrated but had no other choice than take this MacBook Pro to a service for the third time.

I do not remember any more how long repair took this 3rd time but one thing was sure: I was no longer confident that the fault have been fixed. At least the repair guy was yet again very self confident when he explained me how he applied some yellow tape to protect the thin cable connecting touchpad and keyboard to the motherboard.
You can see the cable here in this picture (ifixit.com visit! excellent repair guides and teardown articles)

About one week later it came no surprise to me when the keyboard and mouse have stopped working again. This time I called directly to Apple and explained the situation to them.

From Apple I was instructed to email them all service reports so they can value what to do.

Because of Christmas and new year (yes, it have took nearly six months to make it trough here... and less than 20 days with fully working laptop) the answer from Apple was delayed to January 2009. I was told that they would replace my computer to a new one with new 12 months warranty.

Now is a good point of taking a little pause and calm my anger towards Apple for a while. I'll continue this story soon with my 2nd MacBook Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment