Friday, December 18, 2009

More direct approach

This time I've had enough. Exactly one year a go I fought with my previous MBP and Apple needed 3 service visits before they accepted to change my computer to a new one.

Now when I called Apple I knew already that by swapping this machine to a new one might not help at all. All I want is to them to realize that I have now in my hands a faulty computer and they should do whatever is to be done to fix it.

First calls was like teaching quantum physics to a dog. It was so hard to Apple people (okay, people whom I speak with who worked at Apple phone service) to understand that it could no possibly be a software fault. Once I made mistake and mentioned that even running 2 virtual machines simultaneously is enough to overheat CPU to 100+°C. Then I had to answer next five minutes to questions "have you updated your VMWare?" "some software consume more CPU time when not updated"

I bet these people would rather open windows on a car when cold than turn down the AC.

Then I found the secret words "can you put trough to the different department" then I was able to talk with people who have more logical approach to this problem. After serious of consideration of this problem I was stunned. I thought that the joke of "it is not a defect it is a feature" was only a joke... Big news it's true... not the part "it is a feature" but the part where it is not anymore a funny joke. When I've told for the 10th time that this overheating issue occurs every single time and not only on OS X but also with Windows I was told to visit the authorized service point once more.

This time I did not left my computer there as I hear the magic words (this could be second magic phrase already?) "Our hand are tied we can only do what we're told to do" So there were no point of swapping the motherboard any more. I had opportunity to show the people at the service how bad the situation is and quickly we booted my MacBook Pro from external clean OS X 10.6.x install and I was able to get CPU to 105°C. I was only told that these machines are not meant to be used like that. No joke here either.

I called Apple again and tell them that this overheating thing is real and asked if they are planning to do anything to fix it. I was told to run certain app that collects data while I reproduce the fault. Yes the app collected data alright. Data from sending fax, file system usage and last but not least it collected network usage. I was not amused.
I was questioned (by mail) for the seventh time whether this overheating occurs only when using certain programs (like I have not told that to them clearly enough six times before?) and being suggested that maybe upgrading to Snow Leopard could help. (I should pay more to be able to use my computer? And I've already proven that Snow Leopard does not fix this issue and. Even if it would fix overheating temporarily I would not settle with that. Permanent fix should be updated firmware which would follow along to Windows too)

Today 18.12.2009 I got final call from Apple and message was this:

"This "flaw" you described is normal thing and we've discussed with engineers and they've came to a decision that by swapping your computer to a new one would not help in this manner."

I'm speechless.

Please Apple fix this lazy fan issue so I can use every megahertz that I've paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment